Oscar or the Academy Awards are considered the most honourable and prestigious award in the film industry. Almost every country see the Academy Award as a way to represent their country at a global level. Academy Awards were started on 16 May 1929, and it’s been more than 91 years since the Academy Awards were first hosted. In 2021, we will witness the 93rd Academy Award.
The Academy Awards have a lot of categories, and out of all the categories, the most prestigious category is of best picture. This category consists of all the films that were the best film of the past year, till now more than 92 films have won the Oscar for best picture. Everyone’s eyes are always glued on the Academy Awards and it’s difficult to choose a winner that is deserving according to everyone, but there were certain times when the majority disagreed with the winner. Many critics and movie lovers criticized the decision made by the Academy, and this list consists of 5, films that were more deserving than the winner of best picture at the Academy Awards.
• The Social Network — The Social Network is a 2010 American biographical drama. Written by Aaron Sorkin, and directed by David Fincher. The Social Network was nominated for 8 different categories at the 83rd Academy Awards. The award for best picture was won by The King’s Speech. According to many critics, and movie lovers The Social Network was the better option. The Social Network was called a film that will remember for ages, while The King’s Speech is just the film of the moment. The King’s Speech was a commercial success, talk of the town and released a few months before the Academy Awards, and maybe that was the reason it had more vote than the social network. One of the most famous and critical acclaimed director Quentin Tarantino even called The Social Network the film of the decade. Though the film lost the Oscar for best picture, still it won three Oscar for best-adapted screenplay, best original score, best film editing. It was also voted as the 27th film among the best 100 films of the 21st century. Till now many people consider the social network not winning the Academy Award for best picture as the biggest mistake committed by the Academy.
• Pulp Fiction — I feel the biggest shocker in the 1995 Academy Award was Forrest Gump winning the Academy Award for best picture. The reason behind this win being a shocker was there were many films in the nominees that were better than Forrest Gump. Forest Gump was nominated for iconic films like Shawshank Redemption and Pulp Fiction. Forrest Gump is a great film, but the best picture of the year, well not. So now the function is which film should have had won the award? Shawshank Redemption holds the highest IMDB rating, but the most deserving picture was Pulp Fiction. Pulp Fiction is a black comedy crime drama written and directed by Quentin Tarantino. The film had 7 Academy Award nomination and won the Palme d’Or at Cannes Film Festival. The film was called one of the most significant films of its era, it went on to influence Hollywood on a big scale, it encouraged filmmaker to use realism and brutal violence in films. It was in Time’s top 100 movies of all times, Pulp Fiction is now considered a cult classic. It was not just the best picture of the year 1994, but also the best film of the era, and still, it didn’t win the Academy Award for best picture is a shocker for everyone.
• Fargo — Fargo is a 1996 black comedy thriller, written, produced, and directed by Joel and Ethan Cones also called as the Cones brothers. Fargo was nominated for 7 Academy Award nominations. It relinquished Academy Award for Best Picture to The English Patient. English Patient is the adaptation of the booker prize-winning book The English Patient, and maybe the popularity of the book help it gather more votes. The English patient is a war romance film while Fargo was something fresh and unique to the audience. The long three hours duration of English patient makes it a test for viewers while Fargo excels in each category of filmmaking. Fargo is among those few films which are being preserved by the National film authority of the U.S, this is enough to answer the importance and amazing creation of the film. It should have won the Academy, but unfortunately, it couldn’t.
• Citizen Kane — In 5, consecutive polls conducted by the British Film Institute and 2 polls conducted by American Film Institute, Citizen Kane was designated as the greatest film ever made. Citizen Kane is an American drama film directed and produced by Orson Welles. The film was nominated for nine Academy Awards and won only one. The Academy Award for best picture was won by John Ford’s How green is my Valley.’ Many critics and movie lovers felt Citizen Kane should have been the winner instead of How green is my Valley. Till date the 14th Academy Award Ceremony is recalled as the ceremony where Citizen Kane didn’t win the Academy Award for Best Picture.
• Saving Private Ryan — Steven Spielberg, Tom Hanks and Matt Damon in a single picture, well by just hearing the crew you might declare the film as a masterpiece. Saving Private Ryan this American epic war film is written by Robert Roadt and directed by Steven Spielberg. The film was nominated for 11 Academy Awards and won 5 of it. The Academy Award for Best Picture was won my Shakespeare in love, and Saving Private Ryan not winning the Academy Award for best picture is till date one of the most controversial Oscar upsets.
It’s difficult to make everyone happy with your decision, but when such decision is made it makes us realise that at the end the Academy Award is just an award it cannot define the greatness a particular film has in store.